A Day of Service to the Miami Shores Community

Middle school students visited W.J. Bryan Elementary school for a day of service to the less fortunate in September. 

W.J. Bryan ranks 232nd out of 277 schools in Miami-Dade County public schools. The school’s students’ test scores rank 4 out of 10. MCD middle school students delivered an excellent day of service.

Every student and every class was visited. The trip started with an 8th grade visit with 4th and 5th graders on Tuesday, September 6. Sixth grade students visited with Pre-K, Kindergarten and 1st grade on Wednesday, September 7. On Friday, September 9, 7th grade went to see 3rd and 4th grade. 

Arriving at W.J. Bryan at about 10:00 AM,  students started working immediately. First, students helped those at W. J. Bryan write an easy paper answering questions about themselves. They did some activities, then had lunch and went to recess to play tag. Every student at W. J. Bryan was reached, no matter who they were, where they came from, or what language they spoke. Students even spoke Spanish to each other.

MCDS students who went to W. J. Bryan were very excited to go and enjoyed the experience. MCD students made connections to the younger students at W. J. Bryan, and did their best to be a good role model.  The students at W. J. Bryan have a big learning curve for everything, but MCDS will be there to see and help them. They believe they helped them a lot.

According to Renee Finny, middle school Math and Stem teacher,  all students had a very positive experience, both from MCDS and W. J. Bryan. Finny believes MCDS students succeeded in teaching both what was learned and in helping with their poster assignment and spelling. 

W.J. Bryan students were extremely happy to MCD students.  It was a cool experience for MCD, and an incredible opportunity for the students at W.J. Bryan. Ms. Finny describes the experience as enlightening.

“It gave everyone a chance to experience something new and learn from a new perspective,” Mrs. Finny said. 

MCDS students are very excited to go back in the spring to continue helping our community.