7th Grade remembers the Holocaust

Eloise Charalambides, Staff Writer

The Seventh grade was fortunate to be able to participate in Holocaust Remembrance  activities so that what happened is never forgotten. It helped many students not only learn about their history, but some even learned about their own families. 

“I’m very grateful to be apart of such a great community that helps us as kids understand the importance and tragedy of the Holocaust,”Victoria Strauch said.

Teachers also felt that the students being able to learn about the Holocaust was a great experience for them and very educational. It gave them a great explanation of what it was like to be in the Holocaust and the terrible and tragic things that came with it. Some seventh grade teachers even found this event taught them things. 

Students talked about the harsh challenges the survivors constantly had to face. Jack Brod and his sisters Sofia and Bella Brod talked about their grandparents and their experience with the Holocaust. “I felt I needed to talk about my grandparents because I feel everyone needed to hear their story,” Jack Brod said.

Brod helped the seventh grade understand his grandparents history and the history of the Holocaust as a whole. He shared the things they had to go through, such as the ghettos and concentration camps. They also shared the loss and lives taken everyday. Students also learned that the Germans needed people to work. Brod said that people who were asked to work were kept alive.

“My grandpa had to face watching his friends and family die; he also watched his wife be taken away. He survived the Holocaust because he had a job and the Germans saw him useful,” Brod said. “My grandmother also survived like this. ”

Jack and his sisters shared how after everything that happened they didn’t want the story to end. They wanted the story to live on so people could remember this tragic time in history for the days to come and understand that the survivors’ stories will be heard.

Other students, such as Sydney Solomon, also shared stories regarding grandparents that survived the Holocaust. “My great grandma is a holocaust survivor and is turning 100 in May.  Learning about what they had to go through and the Holocaust in general taught me to never take anything for granted,” Solomon said.

To many students, the stories of the Holocaust taught them messages about life.  “I think the Holocaust sent out a message to everyone to be accepting towards everyone and treat people with kindness, as many were killed for something they should be proud of,” Solomon said.

Although the Holocaust was very sad, some seventh graders like Anita Bruzzi saw this as an experience to learn. 

“I liked learning about what the Nazis did because even though it was wrong and tragic I wanted to understand how and why there were so many Jews killed,” Bruzzi said. “I also liked learning about how some of them were able to survive because it reminded me that in tough times there is still hope.”

Teachers also felt that the students being able to learn about the Holocaust was a great experience, and very educational. It gave them a great explanation of the Holocaust experience. Some seventh grade teachers even found this event taught them things.  “We are very fortunate to be able to learn about the Holocaust as many don’t have this opportunity to learn the way we do,” Ms.Millian said.